There seems to be no end in sight with respect to the queues for petrol in the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Abuja, and neighbouring States of Kaduna, Niger, and Nasarawa, as the situation continues to persist.
An Analyst has stated that this is the longest fuel scarcity in the history of Nigeria since the country’s Independence in 1960, making the past President, Goodluck Jonathan, feeling vindicated in his criticism of bad governance, when compared to what Nigerians are now experiencing under the current President Muhammadu Buhari administration.
Many independent filling stations were shut down on Wednesday, for lack of fuel to dispense, while the few major oil marketers and mega filling stations belonging to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, that dispensed the commodity, had to contend with long queues of desperate motorists.
“It is obvious that the Federal Government and the NNPC are currently bereft of ideas on how to handle the scarcity of petrol that we see in many parts of Nigeria, and this is so unfortunate”, an angry motorist in one of the queues at the NNPC mega station along Kubwa-Zuba expressway, said.
The NNPC however, announced on Wednesday that it had stepped up the arrest and prosecution of errant marketers and fuel hawkers across the country.
The Corporation said its special task force on filling stations’ monitoring, had made a series of arrests, including two filling station Managers, who diverted 66,000 litres of petrol, and six illegal hawkers of the product in Abuja.
The Corporation’s Spokesperson, Ndu Ughamadu, said in a statement that the culprits had been handed over to the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps for prosecution.
He stated: “In addition to prosecution, the filling stations would pay N250 fine for each litre of petrol diverted.”