Borussia Dortmund Team bus hit by terrorist bomb explosion
GERMANY: An “Islamist” suspect has been detained by police investigating a bomb attack on the Borussia Dortmund team bus.
“Two suspects from the Islamist spectrum have become the focus of our investigation. Both of their apartments were searched, and one of the two has been detained,” said Frauke Koehle, from the federal prosecutor’s office.
She said the explosives used in the attack contained metal pins – one of which buried itself into a headrest on the coach – adding it was lucky “nothing worse happened”.
The blasts happened around six miles from the Westfalenstadion, where the team had been due to face the French side in a quarter-final first-leg tie.
The game will now be played on Wednesday evening. Borussia Dortmund said there was no danger at the stadium, where around 80,000 people would have been expected for the game. Borussia Dortmund president Reinhard Rauball said he was confident the team would rise to the occasion when they take to the field again despite the experience.
“How is the team doing? You can imagine yourself whether they slept well or badly,” he said.
“This is certainly a difficult situation for the team which, I think, has not experienced such a situation before,” said Mr Rauball.
“However, we expect and I am confident that the team will do its best and deliver a spectacle in the Champions League this evening.”